Definition: Schizophrenia is a chronic and severe mental disorder that affects how a person thinks, feels, and behaves. People with this disease may feel like they have lost touch with reality.
- Disorganized speech and movement
- Lack of motivation
- Being withdrawn from friends and/or family
- 1% of the population worldwide is diagnosed with schizophrenia
- 1.2% of Americans ( 3.2 million ) have the disorder
- About 1.5 million people will be diagnosed with schizophrenia this year around the world
- US – 100,000 people will be diagnosed
How to Feel Better
- Join a self-help group. Whether this is an online community or a once-a-week session at your local church, find people you can talk to. Self-help groups connect you with others in the same boat, and spending time you need can give you much-needed and deserved support.
- Learn about stress management and relaxation techniques. There are a huge variety of things you can do to destress and feel more relaxed, which will help you cope with symptoms. Some simple ways to feel better are getting enough sleep (for teens, around 9.25 hours a night!), exercising, and meditation.
- Professional help. There are many antipsychotic medications and “talk” therapy clinics available to help you. Get the help you need – you’re amazing and you deserve to feel better!